Friday, January 30, 2009

Just a thought

Think about the people you have in your life. Of course your close friends and family members come into mind... but think outside the box, about your other friends you work with, serve in your church callings with, or interacted with today at the grocery store.

Do you believe that every single person we come into contact with in our daily lives was put there for a specific reason? In other words, are all of these people divinely placed into your life at certain times and circumstances? This question gets even more mind-boggling when you bring in the concept of free agency, because we know that each of us has our own free agency to think and act how we choose. That girl in the grocery store who needed a hand out to her car could have chosen to linger a little longer in the bread aisle so that your paths never crossed, and thus, she would never have been in your life. What then?

I, for one, truly believe that people are placed in your life for a reason. Perhaps not every single person you talk to throughout the day is there for some "greater reason," but I do believe that more people than you may first suspect are meant to be there for reasons we may yet to discover, or better yet, never really know.

This string of discombobulated and somewhat confusing thoughts has caused me to analyze some of the people I interact with. Why did I sit next to that guy from Minneapolis on the chair lift while skiing today? Why was I randomly placed with these particular roommates? Why did that quiet guy who didn't talk much get assigned to the cubicle next to mine during my internship? What was/am I supposed to learn from these people?

Anyway, just food for thought on a late night rambling spree.
Insights or other random thoughts are greatly welcomed.


PS. This picture by Monet is here because he is an artist that seems to convey far more than first meets the eye, a good picture to look at when thinking deep thoughts.

3 comments:

Amanda Jones said...

good thoughts. I concur!
I feel lucky to have you as one of those people that came into my life. What would we have done without random freshman housing placements!

Candace said...

Hi Camille! How's life? I totally miss you. And YES, I know we met for a reason.

It's semi-creepy to think about all of that, but yes I agree. On an even broader scale, I really think most everything happens for a reason. Matter is organized.

I love you dear!

Angela McLaws said...

Beautifully written, well said, and yes "mind boggleing." But, the older I get, and as I look back on my life, I've come to believe that there is very, very little we can call coincidence. Won't it be fun to see the puzzle all fit together someday when we are all together in the eternities? Now there's another thought to ponder. . . eternity!! Love you!