Monday, February 2, 2009

That Thing You Do

What did I do Friday night? Oh, let me tell you. I drove up to Salt Lake City with girl Erin and boy Aaron and went to Studio 600. I know what you're thinking, "YOU went to Studio 600?" I know, right? For all you non-Utahns, Studio 600 is this huge dance club up in Salt Lake... TOTALLY not my scene. But I went, and I will openly admit I had the time of my life.

This little random evening on the dance floor got me thinking. This is a shout out to my roommate Erin, the one in the boss-awesome headband. She is a dance education major, and quite honestly, dance is her life. When she is performing she looks like the happiest person in the world. Complete bliss. I asked her about it later, and she went on to say how when she's dancing she doesn't have a care in the world.

So... as most deep questions lead... I thought, "what's my thing?" What is it that I love? Well let's see. I love snowboarding, skiing, yoga, rock climbing, camping, biking, running, etc. Then I thought, the tying factor of all of my favorite hobbies involve being in the outdoors. I realized the times I am outside is when I am most content and at peace with my life. Everything that matters becomes a little clearer, and the things that just aren't that important fade. In a sense, I don't have a care in the world. I am reminded of how I have a Heavenly Father who loves me enough to have created this beautiful earth and give me the cherished moments when I can enjoy it.

So my friends, what is that thing you do that makes all your cares in the world fade, even if it's for just a short time? Don't be shy, this is a blog of sharing and caring.

8 comments:

Amanda Jones said...

Camille!
I love to read you blog. You always put very insightful things that always inspire me!
THANKS!

Kimberly said...

Camille, I am so glad you had such a good time, Studio 600 is for sure a good time. So what are your plans these days? You're in Provo through winter? I really should come up for a weekend of Snowbird inundation.

kaylie jean. said...

i love studio 600. :0)
also, i love you.

becca said...

boy aaron is h-o-t.

Breanna Stutz said...

camille - you have inspired me. I am stealing this blog idea to write about "my thing". so i will do that soon. you are awesome.

Lillian said...

I'm right with you there when it comes to the "outdoors" thing... when I'm playing outside I forget about everything else, if only for a blissful second. So yeah, Snowbird this weekend???

p.s. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the snowshoes last weekend. You are the beeesssstttt

Kat said...

I totally get what you're talking about here. I have several outlets myself, the main one being the piano. I can sit down and start playing and pretty soon an hour, maybe two has gone by. I too am inspired and should write a post myself about this.

I also feel inspired that I should do more of the things that help give me clarity. I need that now more than any other time. Thank you!

chelsea mckell said...

Beautiful question – and one I’ve mulled over as well. Not for me, as my own “thing” is quite obvious (running,running,running), but for others. Like how do I help my husband be happy – what’s his “thing” in life that I can be supportive of… same process with my sisters and close friends… I think answers involving the outdoors are pretty common. Perhaps it’s innate in all human beings – since I notice that even my baby becomes delightfully giddy as soon as we step out the door. It’s just something about those UVB rays…