Thursday, March 5, 2009

Music = Love

Music is love. Love is music.

My suspicions that a well-thought-out, expertly-organized, inspired mix is one of the greatest gifts a friend can give to me have recently come true. There's something about inserting that disc into the CD player and sitting back, awaiting the musical journey where you are able to discover new sounds, new bands, new lyrics, new memories.

Within the last 2 weeks I have received 3 new mixes from some amazing friends of mine. New music to a music lover is like... a new Prada purse for a Shopaholic, or something. One friend in particular, my lovely friend Cathy who lives in Seattle, is affectionately referred to as my "music friend" to all who don't know her. Even though we connect on many levels besides music, that one element sets the relationship over the top. Since we have been apart during college we have kept in touch mainly by sending each other mixes of music we have discovered or have been into. These mixes are literal, tangible pieces of our hearts.

Call me corny, but who cares. Here are some of the new bands I have recently been exposed to:
* Bon Iver
* Son Volt
* Kings of Leon
* Beck (his new CD.... "Sea Change"... very unlike his old stuff)
* Josh Ritter
* John Butler Trio
* Ingrid Michaelson
* The Weepies
* Ben Solee

So thank you, my dear friends, for this gift of music. It means so very much.

5 comments:

Amanda Jones said...

oh cathy, such is so cute!

well those picks sounds good, Ingrid is one of my favs (love "be ok" and "the way I am") and Chris is a big Beck fan.

Sarah said...

We love Josh Ritter at our house. Have you heard his album, "The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter"? That is one of my favorite albums by anyone. Great stuff.

Angela McLaws said...

I love that picture of Cathy! She is so crazy. . . I don't know any of those musicians, but I do love my little Ipod you gave me with all my favorite running songs on it! Thank you for the "gift of music!"

Unknown said...

Ahhh shoot. I got excited when I saw you had Bon Iver on there, that guy is the shit. The Weepies are pretty cool too, I think I listened to their CD once through. And Kings of Leon are the kings of sweet voice-cracking rock songs that don't make any sense. but are awesome.

brooke said...

i think i have been secretly listening to your music, if you employ the pseudonym "camizzle."
:D:D