Friday, June 27, 2008

Sally and Me

Do you remember how easy life was in elementary school? All you wanted to do was be a good kid, because heaven forbid the consequence if you misbehaved.

Well this morning I was waiting in the BART line along with all the other morning commuters to win the silent battle of getting a seat for the 45 minute train ride. I got to the station a little early and was feeling quite victorious.

Then this girl (whom we will call Sally) walks up, looks me in the eye, and walks right in front of me in line and stays there. I can't believe it! She just cut in line!!!! She can NOT be serious! Oh, but Sally was. She looked back at me one more time, gave a little smirk, and continued drinking her coffee acting as if nothing had happened. Sure enough, when our train came, I was defeated; Sally got to sit and I was left to stand for the bumpy ride to the city.

This was one of those mornings I wished I was back in elementary school. Life was so much simpler. I woud have raised my hand, told my teacher that Sally cut in line (which every elementary school kid knows is one of the worst offenses you could ever commit), and Sally would have had to move to the back of the line. I would have gotten a seat, and Sally most definitely would not have gotten her daily gold star on the class's sticker star chart.

10 comments:

Amanda Jones said...

ok... Funny!
you are such a great writer/storyteller

Rachel and Jason said...

Mill-
I'm so sorry to hear about mean-o Sally. People can really suck sometimes, no?

B said...

you should have said something... I would have. Like last night when we went to get dinner at Fazolis (who eats there anyway?) and they said they didn't have any salads because they were out of lettuce, even though I saw lettuce in their kitchen. So I said, "but I see a whole bag of lettuce right there" and the guy just looked at the bag of lettuce and then back at me and didn't respond. I still didn't get a salad, but at least I felt better about myself.
So, you should have told her "excuse, i'm not sure you realized I was already standing in line, you're welcome to try and cut in behind me, but i'd like to keep my spot. Thank you."

You so should have!

ms-mclaws said...

and THAT, my dear sister, is a perfect example of why I love you so much. Thanks for that story, I laughed out loud... in my office.

rach said...

um, rude! i, too, wouldn't have said anything because I would have been saying quite a lot in my head. But next time I hope you run into sally, because then you get to voice the perfect reply to her less-than-classy act.

Angela McLaws said...

It is possible to be assertive and kind at the same time. I'm all for the "Excuse me! I was here first, but I'll keep my eye out for a seat for you as well." I hope you run into her again! Remember, Millie--you "rule the world!!!" (Isn't that a line in a Coldplay song?? I watched them today on TV!)

rachbechep said...

haha. that made my heart happy. last summer when we went to san fran, i thought, "who are some of these people..." (and one of those times was when we rode the BART)
hooray for having a new blogger friend!! hope you're doing well! :)

Unknown said...

You should call here Mustang Sally. T o her face.


Oh and I plan on never slowing down! Bwa hahahaha. But I will have to eventually. Lame.

Annie. said...

Camille! I just found you from Amanda's blog. I am so happy you have one too! You are going on my link list, if you don't mind. :) Email me at anniewebbphotography@gmail.com so I can get your email and add you to our personal blog list.

Lindsay Bird said...

I spelled her wrong. You should call 'her' Mustang Sally. Not here. That is all.