Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Bitter Lemonade

We've all heard the saying that when life hands us lemons, we should make lemonade. Well friends, I've been trying... but apparently my lemons are a little too sour.

It's been one thing after another, and I'm just trying to figure out why. But, unfortunately, we don't always know why, now do we?

This string of bad luck started on Monday morning when I got a call from the Partner at PwC telling me that my peer mentor from my internship was killed in a serious car accident this weekend. When he said Chris's name, I just thought, "no... please not him. Chris was my best friend in the group!" Chris Gneiding was such a great guy -- he had an infectious laugh and an ability to make anyone feel comfortable. We also had a great bond due to our love of the Grateful Dead and all other jam bands. Believe me, those kind of bonds don't come every day! I know Chris is in a better place, but deaths always make you think twice about things. I always think "what if that was my brother or sister? what if that was me??" They are scary thoughts, but truly, life is so precious. I am reminded to try and live each day to the fullest not take another day for granted.

Five minutes after I got the call about Chris, my friend David informed me that a dam broke and flooded Havasupai, our weekend camping destination. Are you serious?? Those kind of things happen like once a century... and of course it was the weekend WE had been planning to go for over 4 months! We are trying to throw together a plan B real quick... I NEED this trip.

Yesterday I got back into Provo (YAHOO!) and was going to help out my boss on campus with the busy Education Week BYU is hosting. I drove STRAIGHT to campus from the airport, and stayed at work till 11:30 pm. I went home to an empty house that had no air conditioning, thus causing my sleep to be minimal to none. My alarm woke me up at 5:30 this morning to put me back in the money room by 6 am! Welcome home, Camille!

This morning a fellow Dave Matthews Band fan informed me Leroi Moore (the saxophonist) died last night. What is going on?! Leroi added such a unique sound and energy to the band. I am sad. I have tickets for a DMB concert next Wednesday night... it's going to be a very meloncholy event, that is to say if it isn't called off all together.

Anyway, I apologize for the venting. I know (or hope) things will get better soon, as for now I'm just not really enjoying this bitter lemonade.

11 comments:

Looper said...

SISTA. you WERE hit by a train. You get my sympathy. I love you and I love your blog. You are super. =)get some rest love.

Kristy Carpenter said...

Wow! I can see how your lemonade would be a little sour. I'm sorry babe. But crazy tie in to your sad story...my friend at work is rotating from the San Jose office and was telling me all about this guy that was visiting NY from San Jose and was killed in a car accident. So I was a little taken back when I read that he was your peer mentor! What a small world this is. I hope that this next week goes better for you!

rach said...

join the club.

rach said...

oh, side note, we do want to set you up with that BOY. maybe that will get your mind off your rough week..?

Amanda Jones said...

When it rains it pours!

I am sorry to hear about your work friend, that is so sad. It is times like this that make you want to live your life to the fullest and never take it for granted.

I hope you come up with a plan b and have a WONDERFUL time.

Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hi...

This is Caitlin Gneiding... Chris's sister. I just googled my brother's name and your blog came up. I hope you don't mind me reading it... but I have been finding comfort from other peoples kind words and memories.

I know there are not many words I can say to comfort you... but always remember that my brother life one hell of a good life. He never took one day for granted. If there is one thing he could say to all of us now is that we should all do the same.

Please let any friends of Chris's from PWC know that we appreciate all the cards, thoughts, and prayers we have received from them.

~Caitlin Gneiding

rachbechep said...

AMEN. i actually just posting about "when life throws you lemons, make lemonade." i've been feeling like that...but your post was my inspiration to post. hope you don't feel sad that i stole your idea...to a point. :)

Lindsay Bird said...

Love you. Sorry about Chris and DMB. When people die it sucks. When they cancel Dave Matthew's it sucks. Life is such a dichotomy of awesome and lame huh? Hope you got to camp. Love, me

chelsea mckell said...

ditto on what linz said - death sucks. I vote we all get translated instead. At the same time.
Whenever crap happens, just remember - theres always someone with more crap happening.
and I like your lemonade analogy. Im sure youll find a way to get some sweetness back in.

Rachel and Jason said...

Mill Head,
Sorry about all that's going on. Life isn't so much fun sometimes, is it? I'm especially sorry about your friend. You're in my prayers. We love you!

Caitlin said...

that is a lot to deal with! Well, I'll be thinking of you, and I hope it clears up okay. I can't wait to see you and get a catch up on the latest. I imagine I'll see you soon now that we live in the same again? By the way, we both wear glasses, only for reading... just to help with stress on the eyes over long periods of studying and whatnot. Add it to the list.