Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I've got a bad case of Nostalgia

I once read a quote that goes like this:

The world is full of people whose notion of a satisfactory future is, in fact, a return to the idealized past. ~Robertson Davies, A Voice from the Attic

Nostalgia is a funny thing. In some respects it is important to always remember your past, the people you were so fortunate to come across, and the lessons you learned from the many adventures and experiences you encountered. On the other hand, you need to live in today, and not in the longing of what once was or what could have been.

My mom has always said I am an extremely passionate person. Yesterday she again brought home this point when she commented how I love deeply. This passion can be conveyed on anything really--music, hobbies, people. Whatever it is that I decide to love I love with
my whole heart. I don't think this is a bad thing, in fact, I consider it one of my talents in life. The only time it becomes a burden is when I am caught up in a flood of memories and can't quite get my feet to touch the ground.

Like tonight. Tonight I went to a movie with a friend,
(we saw the "Curious Case of Benjamin Button," which I looooved, for your information) a friend whom I feel like we never got to finish our story due to the different paths our lives were meant to lead. When we get together it's like we are just continuing our conversation, only to be put on hold for who knows how long, or possibly, forever. Why were people like him put in my life? I don't know. I do know, however, that everyone is in our lives for a reason, and further, everything happens for a reason. And for that I am grateful.


2 comments:

Jaimee said...

Oh Camille!! I miss you. Have a Happy New Year and don't party too hard. :)

Kat said...

I know exactly what you mean. I have one just like it.

I hope you are doing well! Good luck as you get ready to start working, lady!