Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mes livres...

A house without books is like a room without windows. ~Heinrich Mann

And with that it's time to divulge my new hobby to the cyber-world.

Despite my right-brained tendencies that have created the accountant/mathematician inside of me, one of my biggest passions is creating new things. I've never been a painter, but I do like creating other forms of art--like this summer, for example, when I randomly decided to make a mosaic for my mother.

Well last semester I really got into BOOKBINDING. That's right, I make books. I love the possibilities book making provides -- you start with a stack of large papers, some binders board, PVA, and the random tools required. There's something about letting those creative juices flow--for me it happens late at night with the right music... like last night, I stayed up till 2 am finishing a book while zoning out to Sigur Ros. mmm... now that's what I call a happy place.

Here are some of the books I've made. I have given some away as gifts, so my collection here is not complete, but it tells enough.

LEFT: my first book ever.








RIGHT: my final project. It's a compilation of pictures from my four years of college. Sentimental, is what it is. (below is a shot of one of the inside pages).










LEFT: My all-time favorite. It's a rounded spine book, with inserts of that flower printed Tibetan rice paper throughout. I especially love that paper because I got it at a mega hippie shop on Haight & Ashbury street in San Francisco.


RIGHT: The newest edition. I'm loving the vintage outside fabric combined with organic looking red paper spread throughout. A true gem.

7 comments:

Annie. said...

I took bookbinding also. What a great class! Really fun. My favorite is your favorite. :)

kendra and jeffrey said...

You are so talented. You inspire me.

Kimberly said...

Camille I know we already talked about this, but I am so happy still you took bookbinding; you know I worked at Book Repair right? This is what we did, but to books that were damaged. It's so fun. You're really good at it too. Okay, well I'll see you soon, yay.

Becky and Heath said...

I am so glad you came in to work yesterday! It was really good to see you!! I hope you are having fun on your little adventure!

And where on earth did you learn how to do this?! I would loooove to learn how! and the fabrics are great! where on earth did you find them?

Just awesome.

Amanda Jones said...

just like your sis! too bad you didn't have these skills when I needed my wedding book.
THEY ARE ALL SO BEAUTIFUL, you are very talented dear!

rach said...

i had so much fun in that class! glad you enjoyed it! we'll have to have a bookbinding party.

Kayla Smith said...

i'm interested, not just in you, but in your talents. this is awesome, i want to begin.